noun[mass noun] Physics
- The absence or reduction of manifest symmetry in a situation despite its presence in the laws of nature underlying it: [as modifier]: symmetry-breaking mechanismsMore example sentences
- Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a powerful phenomenon that is tremendously important in understanding unified particle theories in general.
- A process called spontaneous symmetry breaking will ruin the delicate state required for quantum computing.
- The direction of the grain in the Higgs field is determined by a process called spontaneous symmetry breaking.
More definitions of symmetry breakingDefinition of symmetry breaking in:
- The US English dictionary