Definition of sympatholytic in English:
(Of a drug) antagonistic to or inhibiting the transmission of nerve impulses in the sympathetic nervous system.
- These authors feel that, at the present time, the evidence seems insufficient to support the use of peripheral sympatholytic procedures in the routine management of pain.
- Taurine, a sulfur-containing amino acid, has been reported to have antihypertensive and sympatholytic activity.
- The decrease in the pulse is believed due to a sympatholytic action of MAOIs.
nounBack to top
A drug having a sympatholytic effect, often used in the treatment of high blood pressure.
- A more complete list of sympatholytics and their trade names can be found on p.123 of the Yagiela text.
- Of the sympatholytics, prazosin and propranolol have been the subject of recent studies.
- Thus, sympatholytics interfere with the part of the nervous system that uses norepinephrine to raise blood pressure.
Definition of sympatholytic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan