Definition of sympatholytic in English:
(Of a drug) antagonistic to or inhibiting the transmission of nerve impulses in the sympathetic nervous system.
- These authors feel that, at the present time, the evidence seems insufficient to support the use of peripheral sympatholytic procedures in the routine management of pain.
- Taurine, a sulfur-containing amino acid, has been reported to have antihypertensive and sympatholytic activity.
- The decrease in the pulse is believed due to a sympatholytic action of MAOIs.
nounBack to top
A drug having a sympatholytic effect, often used in the treatment of high blood pressure.
- A more complete list of sympatholytics and their trade names can be found on p.123 of the Yagiela text.
- Of the sympatholytics, prazosin and propranolol have been the subject of recent studies.
- Thus, sympatholytics interfere with the part of the nervous system that uses norepinephrine to raise blood pressure.
Definition of sympatholytic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.