- (Of a drug) producing physiological effects characteristic of the sympathetic nervous system by promoting the stimulation of sympathetic nerves.More example sentences
- Sinus tachycardia is usually a physiological response but may be precipitated by sympathomimetic drugs or endocrine disturbances.
- That sympathomimetic drug, which stimulates the nervous system, increases metabolism and burns fat.
- Tachycardia and hypertension are the result of sympathomimetic stimulation and the psychedelic effects of the drug result from serotonergic stimulation.
nounBack to top
- A drug having a sympathomimetic effect, often used in nasal decongestants.More example sentences
- Precipitants include being in a dark room (dilates pupil), stress, and certain drugs (e.g., sympathomimetics or anticholinergics).
- Although these drugs may have antiinflammatory properties, they are considerably less effective than the sympathomimetics and potentially produce more significant side effects.
- The use of sympathomimetics should be avoided in patients with ventricular fibrillation.
More definitions of sympathomimeticDefinition of sympathomimetic in:
- The US English dictionary