Definition of sympathomimetic in English:
(Of a drug) producing physiological effects characteristic of the sympathetic nervous system by promoting the stimulation of sympathetic nerves.
- Sinus tachycardia is usually a physiological response but may be precipitated by sympathomimetic drugs or endocrine disturbances.
- That sympathomimetic drug, which stimulates the nervous system, increases metabolism and burns fat.
- Tachycardia and hypertension are the result of sympathomimetic stimulation and the psychedelic effects of the drug result from serotonergic stimulation.
nounBack to top
A drug having a sympathomimetic effect, often used in nasal decongestants.
- Precipitants include being in a dark room (dilates pupil), stress, and certain drugs (e.g., sympathomimetics or anticholinergics).
- Although these drugs may have antiinflammatory properties, they are considerably less effective than the sympathomimetics and potentially produce more significant side effects.
- The use of sympathomimetics should be avoided in patients with ventricular fibrillation.
Definition of sympathomimetic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan