- A system of gear changing, especially in motor vehicles, in which the driving and driven gearwheels are made to revolve at the same speed during engagement by means of a set of friction clutches, thereby easing the change: these gearboxes only had synchromesh on higher gears [as modifier]: a synchromesh gearboxMore example sentences
- A synchromesh feature enables shifting from low to high range at speeds up to 30 mph and from high to low range below 10 mph.
- The 6-speed manual gearbox developed for the Volvo S60 R and VT0 R now has made its entry in the Volvo S40 T5 which features triple synchromesh.
- My first car, the one I learnt to drive in, was an NSU Prinz with no synchromesh between first and second.
1920s: contraction of synchronized mesh.
More definitions of synchromeshDefinition of synchromesh in:
- The US English dictionary