Definition of syphilis in English:
A chronic bacterial disease that is contracted chiefly by infection during sexual intercourse, but also congenitally by infection of a developing fetus.
- This is caused by the spirochaete Treponema pallidum. The infection progresses in four successive stages: primary syphilis, characterized by a chancre in the part infected; secondary syphilis, affecting chiefly the skin, lymph nodes, and mucous membranes; tertiary syphilis, involving the spread of tumour-like lesions (gummas) throughout the body, frequently damaging the cardiovascular and central nervous systems; quaternary syphilis neurosyphilis
- Screening tests for herpes simplex virus and syphilis were negative.
- Other less common but serious infections are also checked for, including HIV, syphilis and hepatitis B.
- We did not identify any new cases of HIV infection or syphilis.
- Example sentences
- Other sites include stasis ulcers, decubitus ulcers, granuloma inguinale, syphilitic lesions, and smallpox vaccination scars.
- It was used as a device to cover syphilitic pustules and gonorrhoeal warts in the genital area.
- Syphilis is passed from person to person by direct contact with a syphilitic ulcer.
Pronunciation: /sɪfɪˈlɪtɪk/adjective& noun
Words that rhyme with syphilisannus horribilis
Definition of syphilis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan