(US also sirup)
Definition of syrup in English:
1 [mass noun] A thick, sweet liquid made by dissolving sugar in boiling water, often used for preserving fruit.
- Select canned fruit in its own juice or water, not heavy syrup, and frozen fruit without added sugar.
- Make a simple mint syrup by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes; cool.
- Candied fruits and fruits preserved in syrup are also traditional.
1.1A thick, sweet liquid containing medicine or used as a drink: cough syrup
More example sentences
- This type of sedation involves swallowing sedative tablets or syrup.
- Boxes of medicines, varying from children's syrup to Viagra and antiretrovirals, were found in the warehouse.
- Simple cough mixtures contain ingredients known as demulcents, for example glycerin, honey and syrup.
1.2A thick, sticky liquid obtained from sugar cane as part of the processing of sugar.
- The sugar syrup would then be processed to extract a liquid sucrose for sale to U.S. food processors for use in breakfast cereal, ice cream, and candy.
- Sticky rice prepared with coconut milk and sugarcane syrup is wrapped in banana leaves.
- Molasses is a byproduct of the sugar refining process, it is the thick syrup you get when you boil down the sugar cane juices to extract sugar.
Definition of syrup in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan