Definition of systole in English:
The phase of the heartbeat when the heart muscle contracts and pumps blood from the chambers into the arteries. Often contrasted with diastole.
- The passive, elastic recoil between systoles maintains the blood pressure, smooths the flow of blood, and forces blood through the coronary arteries while the ventricles are filling.
- The reflected wave returns to the aorta during systole rather than diastole, increasing systolic work even more and reducing diastolic pressure, on which coronary flow depends.
- A newer classification scheme for heart failure is based not on left or right side failure but rather on whether the failure occurs during systole or diastole.
- Example sentences
- They also recommend using both systolic and diastolic blood pressures for diagnosis and treatment at all ages.
- Pulse pressure was measured as systolic arterial pressure minus diastolic arterial pressure.
- In addition, many patients with systolic dysfunction have elements of diastolic dysfunction.
Words that rhyme with systolesisterly
Definition of systole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan