Definition of systole in English:
The phase of the heartbeat when the heart muscle contracts and pumps blood from the chambers into the arteries. Often contrasted with diastole.
- The passive, elastic recoil between systoles maintains the blood pressure, smooths the flow of blood, and forces blood through the coronary arteries while the ventricles are filling.
- The reflected wave returns to the aorta during systole rather than diastole, increasing systolic work even more and reducing diastolic pressure, on which coronary flow depends.
- A newer classification scheme for heart failure is based not on left or right side failure but rather on whether the failure occurs during systole or diastole.
- Example sentences
- They also recommend using both systolic and diastolic blood pressures for diagnosis and treatment at all ages.
- Pulse pressure was measured as systolic arterial pressure minus diastolic arterial pressure.
- In addition, many patients with systolic dysfunction have elements of diastolic dysfunction.
Definition of systole in:
- US English dictionary