Definition of tabby in English:
noun (plural tabbies)
1 (also tabby cat) A grey or brownish cat mottled or streaked with dark stripes.
- There are tabbies and toms in white, black, grey and ginger.
- On my way home I was accosted by a mewing tabby and white shorthair cat that proceeded to follow me home.
- A grey tabby cat with white legs and wearing a red collar with a bell was found in the Hawthorn area of the town over the New Year period.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a cat) grey or brownish in colour and streaked with dark stripes: a young tabby tomcat
More example sentences
- A small, tabby kitten walked out, sniffing the air.
- Waiting for her at the gate was the neighbour's tabby tomcat who bore the unoriginal name of Tiger.
- He then looked over towards the tabby kitten and touched it.
Definition of tabby in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan