noun (plural tableaux vivants pronunc. same)
- A silent and motionless group of people arranged to represent a scene or incident.More example sentences
- One of the most obviously formal of these was the ceremony of the royal entry, in which allegorical pageants, tableaux vivants, verse, and music combined to welcome a sovereign or royal spouse into the capital or major city of the realm.
- The arrangement of her family is much like the arrangement of a tableau vivant, an arrangement of life fixed in place.
- He was represented by four works, including several tableaux vivants populated by friends, family, and servants and photographed on his estate.
French, literally 'living picture'.
More definitions of tableau vivantDefinition of tableau vivant in:
- The US English dictionary