adverb & adjectiveMusic
- (As a direction) indicating that a voice or instrument is silent.More example sentences
- In so labour-intensive an undertaking as a symphony, we regard the long oboe tacet passages to be extremely wasteful.
- I love the ascending figure he plays just at the beginning of his solo, when the rest of the gang is briefly tacet - that bit is pure invention.
- For this song, I was tacet on reps 1-3.
Latin, literally 'is silent', from tacere 'be silent'.
More definitions of tacetDefinition of tacet in:
- The US English dictionary