Definition of tachymeter in English:
1A theodolite for the rapid measurement of distances in surveying.
- A system for alignment and measurement of positions includes an electronic tachymeter and a reflector system.
- Surveyors use a tachymeter to make quick calculations of the distances, bearings or elevations of distant objects.
- The use of contact-less and satellite-based tachymeters and digital levelling instruments guarantees a standardised and efficient workflow.
2A facility on a watch for measuring speed.
- Two new Carrera tachymeters were launched at the end of 2005: a model with chocolate-brown dial, tachymeter and bracelet; and a model with blue dial and tachymeter and steel bracelet.
- Unlike paintings, for example, which can be judged instinctively, if subjectively, a watch has to be judged from both an aesthetic and a mechanical standpoint, with a complicated lexicon of bezels, tourbillons and tachymeters to master beside the issue of aesthetics.
- Example sentences
- This module provides an introduction to cartography and covers the production of topographic maps and plans based on accurate tachymetric surveys using computer aided drafting packages.
- A tachymetric plan and 3D model of the measured and geophysically prospected areas was created.
- The timepiece features tachymetric divisions in aluminum, protective pushbuttons with notches for comfort of operating, and a screw-in crown.
Definition of tachymeter in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.