- Understood or implied without being stated: your silence may be taken to mean tacit agreementMore example sentences
- The informal system consists largely in tacit agreements and understandings.
- The two main parties have become a cartel, operating a tacit understanding not to broach any important issue.
- The tacit understanding is that whatever else happens inside is a matter between consenting adults.
- More example sentences
- The idea that free speech is divisible - that you can ban some forms of speech without impacting on others - has been tacitly accepted.
- But as the government now tacitly admits, neither of these allegations is true.
- Socially, most societies at least tolerate the use of alcohol, and many at least tacitly encourage it.
early 17th century (in the sense 'wordless, noiseless'): from Latin tacitus, past participle of tacere 'be silent'.