- A low-grade iron ore consisting largely of chert, occurring chiefly around Lake Superior in North America.More example sentences
- She was loaded with 26,000 tons of taconite at Superior, WI, on Nov.9, 1975 and left the port of Duluth-Superior, at the western end of Lake Superior shortly after 2: 00 p.m. in fair weather but with a foul forecast lying in wait.
- The Mesabi Iron Range contains some 110 miles of small towns built at the turn of the last century along a seam of iron ore called taconite.
- An increasingly important source of iron for commercial uses is taconite, a mixture of hematite and silica.
early 20th century: from the name of the Taconic Range of mountains, US, + -ite1.
More definitions of taconiteDefinition of taconite in:
- The US English dictionary