Having or showing skill and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues: they need a tactful word of advice
More example sentences
- The tactful use of his skills and a clear understanding of the game have made this young man an instant favourite with the crowds in an alien land.
- Be a catalyst for change by letting your actions and voices be heard in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- The issue was not broached in the most articulate or tactful manner, but it did generate quite a bit of discussion on our opinion pages.
considerate, sensitive, understanding, thoughtful, delicate, diplomatic, discreet, discerning, judicious, politic, perceptive, subtle, careful, treating someone/something with kid gloves;
courteous, cordial, polite, decorous, seemly, respectful
- Example sentences
- More than that, it is the essence of delicacy and tactfulness in American film.
- Another way is to ensure that managers are well trained in the art of tactfulness and diplomacy and given plenty of opportunity to experience living and working in different cultures.
- I had never been able to let go of caution, even when the constant tactfulness and consideration became painful.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tact|ful
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.