Definition of tactless in English:
Having or showing a lack of skill and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues: a tactless remark
More example sentences
- He's tactless and lacks judgment but he's irresistible just the same.
- Her responses grew more tentative and insecure with each of his outrageously tactless remarks.
- For a prime minister who fought the election on improving public services, such increases look like thoughtless and tactless extravagance.
insensitive, inconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, indelicate, undiplomatic, impolitic, indiscreet, unsubtle, clumsy, heavy-handed, graceless, awkward, unpolished, inept, bungling, maladroit, gauche, undiscerning, unsophisticated;
blunt, straightforward, frank, plain-spoken, outspoken, abrupt, precipitate;
gruff, bluff, rough, crude, coarse, speaking as one finds, calling a spade a spade, like a bull in a china shop;
imprudent, injudicious, unwise, foolhardy;
rude, impolite, uncouth, discourteous, crass, tasteless, impertinent, disrespectful, ungentlemanly, unladylike, boorish, uncivilized, uncivil;
unkind, uncaring, uncalled for, callous, hurtful, thick-skinned, uncharitable, cruel
- Example sentences
- Try not to get obnoxiously and tactlessly drunk.
- It would be tactlessly trite and simplistic to say that because Camara has suffered personally then he could not be hurt professionally.
- Behaving so aggressively and tactlessly, making demands, must have a reason.
- Example sentences
- She drives everyone nuts with her tactlessness.
- I cringed at my tactlessness and hoped he wouldn't take offense.
- Mary Queen of Scots was recorded as very tall and beautiful but with a fiery temperament that often caused her to act on impulse and brought forth criticisms of tactlessness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia