- A primitive fossil herbivorous mammal from the Palaeocene and Eocene of North America, with deep powerful jaws and short stout limbs.
More example sentences
- Suborder Taeniodonta, order Cimolesta
- Besides viverravids, the collection includes oxyclaenids, arctocyonids, triisodontids, pantolestids, taeniodonts, phenacodontids, mioclaenids, pentacodontids, periptychids, proprimates, and a multituberculate.
- It is a stylinodontine taeniodont which was discovered by two people who had just stopped on the side of the road.
- In their preferred upland habitat, taeniodonts could have been much more common than the fossil record reflects.
1930s: from modern Latin Taeniodontia (order name), from Greek tainia 'band, ribbon' + odous, odont- 'tooth'.