- A question converted from a statement by an appended interrogative formula, e.g. it’s nice out, isn’t it?.More example sentences
- Out of a number of studies done between 1976 and 1980 on tag questions, six found that women used more tag questions than men, while five found that men used more than women.
- Robin Lakoff's 1975 account of English tag questions, based on her introspective judgments, was that such tags ‘are associated with a desire for confirmation or approval which signals a lack of self-confidence in the speaker.’
- Verbal behaviors related to these descriptors include the presence of politeness markers, tag questions, verbal hedging, euphemistic and supportive-responsive speech, inclusive reference, and indirect speech.
More definitions of tag questionDefinition of tag question in:
- The US English dictionary