Definition of tagine in English:
1A North African stew of spiced meat and vegetables prepared by slow cooking in a shallow earthenware cooking dish with a tall, conical lid.
- You then share a Brasilian plate of two empenadas (baked turnovers, one beef and one sardine), red beans, salad and salsa, and the plat du jour, a lamb tajine, deliciously spiced.
- The meat, which is much less tender, is ideal for the long slow cooking of a tagine.
- This spice mix has its origins in Tunisia and is used in couscous, meat dishes and some tagines.
1.1The dish used for cooking tagines.
- For instance, northern African nomads, in the past and still today, would often use a clay tagine, a cooking pot with a conical lid enclosure acting like an oven, used for making meat stews.
- I brought back a giant tagine from Morocco and I'd fill it with chicken and vegetables with a bit of olive oil and lemon.
- There were always lots of us at mealtimes, and a tajine or two was always simmering on the fire.
from Moroccan Arabic ṭažin from Arabic ṭājin 'frying pan'.
Definition of tagine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia