- (In a bird’s tail) each of the smaller feathers covering the bases of the main feathers.More example sentences
- We captured 30 males on 10 April 1997 at the start of the breeding season when males were regularly seen displaying their upper tail coverts.
- Many species have bright colors on their rump, wings and upper tail coverts that can be covered by their wings while they are on the ground foraging.
- The flight feathers are black, and the upper tail coverts and rump area are cobalt blue.
More definitions of tail covertDefinition of tail covert in:
- The US English dictionary