Definition of tail-end Charlie in English:
1A person or thing that brings up the rear in a group or formation.
- This will temporarily address potential supply shortages but it will also mean higher prices as the UK becomes the tail-end Charlie of the western European gas market.
- Having been the tail-end Charlie of the five, Glasgow is now near the top of the shopping list as far as investors are concerned.
- As I'm running the new engine in I agree to be tail-end Charlie - that's the end of the convoy for non-bikers.
1.1A member of the crew of a military aircraft who operates a gun from a compartment at the rear.
- The first commissioned rear-gunner in the RAF during the Second World War, he was nick-named "Tail End Charlie" by his crew and that name rapidly became adopted for all rear-gunners in the RAF.
- Few thought of the perils, discomfort and occasional successes of the rear gunner, the ''Tail-end Charlie.''
- The father was a 'Tail-End Charlie' or rear gunner in a Lancaster Bomber.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.