Definition of tail-end Charlie in English:
1A person or thing that brings up the rear in a group or formation.
- This will temporarily address potential supply shortages but it will also mean higher prices as the UK becomes the tail-end Charlie of the western European gas market.
- Having been the tail-end Charlie of the five, Glasgow is now near the top of the shopping list as far as investors are concerned.
- As I'm running the new engine in I agree to be tail-end Charlie - that's the end of the convoy for non-bikers.
1.1A member of the crew of a military aircraft who operates a gun from a compartment at the rear.
- The first commissioned rear-gunner in the RAF during the Second World War, he was nick-named "Tail End Charlie" by his crew and that name rapidly became adopted for all rear-gunners in the RAF.
- Few thought of the perils, discomfort and occasional successes of the rear gunner, the ''Tail-end Charlie.''
- The father was a 'Tail-End Charlie' or rear gunner in a Lancaster Bomber.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan