1British A long queue of stationary or slow-moving traffic extending back from a busy junction or similar obstruction on the road: tailbacks affected all roads into Leeds
More example sentences
- These buses stop the traffic and cause tailbacks down Tadcaster Road every day as they turn left from the middle lane on Blossom Street.
- While the main roads were passible, cautious drivers spend twice as long on the road due to tailbacks and traffic accidents.
- Massive tailbacks and traffic jams were again expected to clog up Britain's roads today as families head back home after the great Bank Holiday exodus.
2 American Football The offensive back stationed furthest from the line of scrimmage.
- Ginn will line up at wide receiver, tailback and quarterback and return kicks - all in the name of getting more touches.
- On Bush's first touchdown reception, he lined up at tailback, but tight end Dominique Byrd was also in the backfield, creating a dilemma for the defense.
- On probably 75 percent of its running plays, Ohio State wants to run to the weak side of the offensive line, allowing the tailback to cut back to the strong side.
Words that rhyme with tailbackwhaleback
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.