- 1British A long queue of stationary or slow-moving traffic extending back from a busy junction or similar obstruction on the road: tailbacks affected all roads into LeedsMore example sentences
- These buses stop the traffic and cause tailbacks down Tadcaster Road every day as they turn left from the middle lane on Blossom Street.
- While the main roads were passible, cautious drivers spend twice as long on the road due to tailbacks and traffic accidents.
- Massive tailbacks and traffic jams were again expected to clog up Britain's roads today as families head back home after the great Bank Holiday exodus.
- 2 American Football The offensive back stationed furthest from the line of scrimmage.More example sentences
- Ginn will line up at wide receiver, tailback and quarterback and return kicks - all in the name of getting more touches.
- On Bush's first touchdown reception, he lined up at tailback, but tight end Dominique Byrd was also in the backfield, creating a dilemma for the defense.
- On probably 75 percent of its running plays, Ohio State wants to run to the weak side of the offensive line, allowing the tailback to cut back to the strong side.