Definition of tailor in English:
1A person whose occupation is making fitted clothes such as suits, trousers, and jackets to fit individual customers.
- While custom tailors sold individually fitted suits and other personalized apparel, they increasingly rationalized the production process in order to reduce basic costs.
- There being no sewing machines to speed the assembly of clothes, tailors and seamstresses were economical with their stitches.
- Drapers and milliners, haberdashers and tailors, mercers and glovers - these were the ubiquitous tradespeople and retailers of Federation King Street.
2 (also tailorfish) another term for bluefish.
- Hopefully next week I will have many good reports of tailor and bream, maybe even blackfish, as the season is about to begin in earnest.
- To get a last go at the tailor a number of anglers took off to Fraser Island.
- Some current limits for fish such as tailor, herring and mullet will not change.
verb[with object] Back to top
1(Of a tailor) make (clothes) to fit individual customers: he was wearing a sports coat which had obviously been tailored in London
More example sentences
- Some of the most elegant men in India still get their suits and trousers tailored by the best in Saville Row.
- Reddy's clothes are tailored in Mumbai by Akbar, also famous as superstar Amitabh Bachchan's tailor.
- If I could tailor clothes, I'd make it live, but my sewing skills are rudimentary and extremely time-consuming.
2Make or adapt for a particular purpose or person: arrangements can be tailored to meet individual requirements
More example sentences
- He must learn programming scripts that allow a generic program to be tailored to a specific purpose.
- The authors report that once a diagnosis of problem drinking or alcoholism is established, a treatment plan can be tailored to the situation.
- In addition, an architect may spend many hours developing a design that is expressly tailored to both your needs and your building site.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan