- 1A tall conical cap worn by a dervish.More example sentences
- Then he wears one of those tight-fitting stocking hats, which is a mix of the Muslim taj, the Jewish yarmulka and black unemployed headgear.
- All these classes have distinguishing costumes, the Buddhist with his yellow robe; the Hindu sanyasi or viragi smeared in ashes, and with ochre-dyed clothes; and the Mahomedan fakir may have a loin-cloth and taj or crown.
- 2 • historical A crown worn by an Indian prince of high rank.More example sentences
- Thus clad, the Arab completes his armour by putting on his head an iron cap (taj), which is but rarely adorned with feathers.
mid 19th century: from Persian tāj 'crown'.
More definitions of tajDefinition of taj in:
- The US English dictionary