- A large, rare flightless rail with bluish-black and olive-green plumage and a large red bill, found in mountain grassland in New Zealand.
More example sentences
- Porphyrio mantelli, family Rallidae
- Within an hour, the mountains, grasslands, kiwis, takahes, and other wonders I want so much to see were hundreds of miles behind us.
- It's a takahe, an extraordinary, huge flightless gallinule long believed to be extinct until rediscovered in a remote mountain range 50 years ago.
- Some birds compensate for a lack of structural modification to the intestinal tract by consuming large quantities of grass e.g., ducks, geese and the takahe.
mid 19th century: from Maori.
More definitions of takaheDefinition of takahe in:
- The US English dictionary