- A dog of an extinct light-coloured breed of hound with large ears and heavy jaws.More example sentences
- A Talbot hound was a snow-white hunting dog that was often used to deter highwaymen from attacking passing coaches.
- The Talbot was a predominantly white, slow, deep-throated, scent hound derived from the St Hubert Hound which had been developed in the 8th century.
- At some point the English Talbots were crossed with Greyhounds to give them an extra turn of speed.
late Middle English: probably from the family name Talbot; the term was also used to denote the representation of such a dog in the badge and supporters of the Talbot family, earls of Shrewsbury.
More definitions of talbotDefinition of talbot in:
- The US English dictionary