Definition of talc in English:
- Body washes, shampoos, liquid talc, massaging balms and skin lotions are all priced at £3.99 (available at Boots).
- In the 1960s and 1970s, a new winceyette nightie and a boxed set of pink talc and bath cubes from Woolies were the ultimate in luxury.
- Deodorant or talc should be avoided, as these could irritate or infect the wound.
2A white, grey, or pale green soft mineral with a greasy feel, occurring as translucent masses or laminae and consisting of hydrated magnesium silicate.
- Further investigation led to biopsy through a bronchoscope, which showed crystals, identified as talc (magnesium silicate).
- This form of bronchiolar disease may occur with inhalation of a number of inorganic dusts, including asbestos, iron oxide, aluminum oxide, talc, mica, silica, silicate, and coal.
- Crystals reach more than 25 cm in length and 2 cm in width and are associated with a mass of fine-grained talc.
verb (talcs, talcing, talced)[with object] Back to top
Powder or treat (something) with talc: he took two hours to get himself dressed for a date, oiling his black hair and talcing his face
More example sentences
- Why would I be wanting to make myself sweat when I am already spending so much time talcing every day, without taking even one step?
- She came up with a price - everything can be had for a price in Bangkok, and before I could figure out if the idea was a good one, I was lying on my back being talced.
- My confessions are talcing my hair, shopping in Primark and talking to the cat in a baby voice.
talcose adjective ( Geology )
- Example sentences
- Both the peridotites and pyroxenites alter to amphibolites, which in turn may alter to talcose rocks.
- Near Glovers Bluff is an altered, talcose conglomerate mainly of ultramafic and mafic derivation.
- Similar talcose shears are found in the major fault zone that localizes the California Motherlode deposits where high grade native gold has been produced.
- Example sentences
- The vein was composed of a mixture of ‘talcy, sticky mud and hard quartz.’
- Nevertheless this is a lovely wine, with a fabulously precise nose of mineral-laced pears and apples, with a firm, talcy, white pepper quality.
- Corn starch also has the added benefit of having a silky not talcy feel to it.
Words that rhyme with talccalque
Definition of talc in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan