A person who maliciously gossips or reveals secrets.
- A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.
- Here were the hagglers and talebearers, the scrapmongers, the dealers in stray talk.
- Talebearers have a habit of telling evil things only to those who will spread evil, not stop it.
- Example sentences
- He devotes five separate questions of the Summa Theologiae to ‘injuries inflicted by words’: reviling, backbiting, talebearing, derision, and cursing.
- Very little open quarrelling ever took place amongst them; but backbiting and talebearing were universal.
- This is a fun game, but if you have ever been on the receiving end of talebearing, or gossip, you know it is not funny.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tale|bear¦er
Definition of talebearer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.