noun[mass noun] • informal
- A perceived tendency to discredit or disparage those who have achieved notable wealth or prominence in public life.More example sentences
- Australia's tall poppy syndrome refers to a tendency for Australians to downplay achievement to the extent of being disdainful of such people, and so to cut them down to size.
- And I think it's condescending of personalities like Nikki Webster to say that the only reason people don't like them is because of tall poppy syndrome.
- Maybe she's a bit too confident, and it's tall poppy syndrome.
More definitions of tall poppy syndromeDefinition of tall poppy syndrome in:
- The US English dictionary