- A fringed shawl traditionally worn by Jewish men at prayer.More example sentences
- At the age of six, I myself wore a tallith katan, or scapular, under my shirt, only mine was a scrap of green calico print, whereas theirs are white linen.
- Furthermore, it was not the tallith itself that had a religious significance, but the ‘tassels.’
- On the eve of Yom Kippur the service begins before sunset, while it is still day, and therefore the tallith is worn on this occasion.
from Rabbinical Hebrew ṭallīt, from biblical Hebrew ṭillel 'to cover'.
More definitions of tallithDefinition of tallith in:
- The US English dictionary