A huntsman’s cry to the hounds on sighting a fox.
- I stood up in my stirrups as tall as I could get and shouted, "Tally ho!" at the top of my lungs.
- I called "Tally ho" again, and watched with pleasure as Darter came bounding out of the underbrush behind me.
- Giddyup is gone and tallyho is here… toss the cowboy hat and pull up the jodhpers, western evolves to English equestrian.
noun (plural tally-hos)
1A cry of ‘tally-ho’: with a final tally-ho, they began wading forward
More example sentences
- If we could offer a tip it would be to never say tally-ho, whatever the provocation.
- Fair enough, a lot of the people marching at the weekend do like a bit of the old tally-ho.
- Labour backbenchers are confident the last tally-ho will soon echo across Britain's countryside.
2 historical A fast horse-drawn coach.
- They also took over similar services at all of the mountain hotels, the last, Glacier House in 1915 by which time they had 80 tally-hos, coaches, carriages and wagons and 146 head of driving horses.
- Horses trotted through the dirt streets, pulling buckboards and tally-hos past slower-moving electrified trolley cars.
- He jumped over the ropes and ran swiftly across the field, leaving Reggie to saunter along at his leisure, bowing to the ladies in the grandstand and on the tally-hos as he passed.
verb (tally-hoes, tally-hoing, tally-hoed)[no object]
Utter a cry of ‘tally-ho’.
- Relying on a load of riders tally-hoing randomly across the countryside can't possibly be effective on any realistic scale.
- He was hale and hearty and tally-hoed after the fox for two hours.
- The gameplay involves a lot of tally-hoing across the countryside in search of treasure, monsters, and all manner of mayhem.
Late 18th century: apparently an alteration of French taïaut, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with tally-hoaglow, ago, alow, although, apropos, art nouveau, Bamako, Bardot, beau, Beaujolais Nouveau, below, bestow, blow, bo, Boileau, bons mots, Bordeaux, Bow, bravo, bro, cachepot, cheerio, Coe, crow, Defoe, de trop, doe, doh, dos-à-dos, do-si-do, dough, dzo, Flo, floe, flow, foe, foreknow, foreshow, forgo, Foucault, froe, glow, go, good-oh, go-slow, grow, gung-ho, Heathrow, heave-ho, heigh-ho, hello, ho, hoe, ho-ho, jo, Joe, kayo, know, lo, low, maillot, malapropos, Marceau, mho, Miró, mo, Mohs, Monroe, mot, mow, Munro, no, Noh, no-show, oh, oho, outgo, outgrow, owe, Perrault, pho, po, Poe, pro, quid pro quo, reshow, righto, roe, Rouault, row, Rowe, sew, shew, show, sloe, slow, snow, so, soh, sow, status quo, stow, Stowe, strow, though, throw, tic-tac-toe, to-and-fro, toe, touch-and-go, tow, trow, undergo, undersow, voe, whacko, whoa, wo, woe, Xuzhou, yo, yo-ho-ho, Zhengzhou, Zhou
Definition of tally-ho in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.