Definition of talon in English:
1A claw, especially one belonging to a bird of prey: the mouse wouldn’t have stood much chance against the peregrine’s talons figurative the black talons of mechanized war
More example sentences
- Another loophole would permit hounds to drive hares into the talons of birds of prey.
- They often carry their prey in their bill, unlike other birds of prey that carry their prey in their talons.
- Unlike birds of prey, the talons of Old World vultures are relatively weak and unsuitable as weapons of attack.
2The part of a bolt against which the key presses to slide it in a lock.
- In such locks, lever steps on a key bit engage the lever tumblers and a bolt step on the key bit engages a bolt talon for moving the bolt.
- Another introduction of his was the use of the revolving barrel which carries on it the bolt talon, so that the force to move the bolt in and out comes from the whole web of the key bit and not by a separate lower bolt step.
3(In various card games) the cards that have not yet been dealt.
- If a spade is turned it is put back in the middle of the talon and the next card is turned up for trumps.
- A basic turn consists of drawing the top card of the talon and placing it face up on the top of your stack.
- At any stage in the deal 2 excess cards are dealt face down to the table as a talon.
4A printed form attached to a bearer bond that enables the holder to apply for a new sheet of coupons when the existing coupons have been used up.
- Every bond was provided with 24 half-yearly coupons and a talon for the renewal of the coupon-sheet.
- For UK tax purposes, both talons and annuities should be deemed to be holdings of their constituent strips.
- The serial number of the security must appear in the top right-hand corner of each security, on any talon and on each coupon (if any).
- Example sentences
- But on this island, a small group of ambitious real estate agents can disrupt communities and tantalize foolish landlords into untenable positions with the snap of taloned fingers.
- And now they both broke down and sobbed aloud without a pause, like birds bereaved, like the sea eagle or taloned vulture, when villages have robbed the nests of their unfledged young.
- Long, spindly, red legs ending in long toed, taloned feet stretch up from the ground, meeting the bird's downy underplumage a couple feet above the sand.
Definition of talon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan