A small nocturnal arboreal anteater with a naked prehensile tail, native to tropical America.
- Genus Tamandua, family Myrmecophagidae: two species
More example sentences
- And when we landed, a tamandua was busy breaking into a termite mound beside the runway.
- The tamandua feeds on ants and termites which it catches with its long, sticky tongue.
- As well as strong claws, tamanduas have powerful prehensile tails to give them additional purchase when climbing.
early 17th century: via Portuguese from Tupi tamanduá, from taly 'ant' + monduar 'hunter'.
Definition of tamandua in:
- The US English dictionary