- An African tree of the spurge family, with scented timber and caustic sap.
More example sentences
- Spirostachys africana, family Euphorbiaceae
- The gold lasted for barely a year but in the meantime numerous trees were planted in the area: wild acacia, teak, olive, tambotie, beech, ebony, seringa, mimosa and quince.
- Here, there are eight luxury tree houses, each encompassing a giant tambotie or leadwood tree and beautifully finished with silks, cottons and African artefacts.
- The lodge lounge and main deck are built around an ancient termite mound and a giant tambotie tree, and in the past guests have watched as wild dogs have hunted and killed, in front of the lodge.
mid 19th century: from Xhosa um-Thombothi, literally 'poison tree'.