Definition of tamboura in English:
1A long-necked lute or mandolin of Balkan countries.
- It is played on instruments that include the gaida, kaval (seven-hole reed pipe), gadulka (pear-shaped fiddle), tambura (fretted lute), and tupan (cylindrical drum).
- This is a compilation of insane rhythms, twisting harmonies, and beguiling colours: the plucked zither-like tambura, the gipsy cimbalom, the dark clarinet-like tárogáto.
- Overall, however, the sound is distinctive thanks to a bold, and highly successful, effort to include traditional Balkan folk instruments, such as the tupan or the tamboura.
2 another term for tanpura.
- She uses the oud (a Middle Eastern lute) and the tamboura (an Indian guitar) which speak to her unique personality and creativity.
- She had her guru's blessings in Lakshmi and Saraswati, the tamburas flanking her on the stage, his gifts.
- Facial make-up, mehendi and impressive costumes enhance the expressive powers of classical dancers, as they unravel a tale of folklore and mythology to the accompaniment of sitar, flute, harmonium, tabla and tambura.
Definition of tamboura in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan