- 1Pack (a blast hole) full of clay or sand to concentrate the force of the explosion: when the hole was tamped to the top, gunpowder was insertedMore example sentences
- Tamp the plug on the buffer to ensure that it is properly seated.
- Use only wooden rods for tamping; do not tamp too vigorously
- Tamp, guide and retrieve materials in a blasthole only using nonsparking tools.
- 1.1 [with object and adverbial of direction] Ram or pack (a substance) down or into something firmly: he tamped down the tobacco with his thumbMore example sentences
- After perfectly leveling the greenhouse site, the contractor brought in a rolling vibrator, a mechanical compactor, and tamped the disturbed soil solid.
- Use the end of a hand tool or a stick to tamp the soil until firm.
- I remember planting with my father, and having him explain how to work the soil, how azaleas liked their oak leaves or peat moss, how you tamped the dirt, gave them a drink.
early 19th century: probably a back-formation from tampin (interpreted as 'tamping'), variant of tampion.
More definitions of tampDefinition of tamp in:
- The US English dictionary