- A small American songbird of the bunting family, the male of which typically has brightly coloured plumage.
More example sentences
- Family Emberizidae (subfamily Thraupinae): many genera, in particular Tangara, and numerous species
- Shade plantations also provide homes to seasonal migrants like warblers, orioles, tanagers, and hummingbirds.
- I saw mockingbirds and bluebirds on my slow drive back, but grosbeaks, tanagers, kingbirds, and buntings are apparently not back yet.
- You may also find cuckoos, kingbirds, flycatchers, swifts, swallows, orioles, and tanagers in the fall.
early 17th century (originally as tangara): from Tupi tangará, later refashioned on the pattern of the modern Latin genus name Tanagra.
More definitions of tanagerDefinition of tanager in:
- The US English dictionary