1A small citrus fruit with a loose skin, especially one of a variety with deep orange-red skin.
- Oranges and tangerines grow in the hilly regions of Nepal; mangoes in the Terai, the plain in the south of the country.
- Arrange the lemon, tangerine, and blood orange segments on top and around the mousse cake.
- Do you know those plastic string mesh bags they use to pack oranges, tangerines and grapefruit in?
1.1 [mass noun] A deep orange-red colour: [as modifier]: a tangerine evening gown
More example sentences
- This spring and summer, white and cream colour schemes are accessorised with fruity colours such as tangerine, pink and lime green.
- Blossoms are vibrant in bouquets too, especially when they're mixed in shades of deep orange-red, tangerine, and peach.
- Now there is no denying some people don't suit certain colours ever, and in fairness some colours don't suit people ever viz. tangerine (but that is another story) so be careful.
2The citrus tree which bears the tangerine.
- Citrus reticulata, family Rutaceae.
- In his kitchen a tangerine tree and redolent jasmine that he planted just outside he seems a little sad, beaten.
- Cherries, peaches, figs, apples, tangerines, lemons, and limes are among the many types of fruit trees that thrive in containers.
- The court heard that an employee who was on the estate at 6 pm on February 6, 2004, noticed a tangerine tree shaking.
Words that rhyme with tangerineAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tan¦ger|ine
Definition of tangerine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.