- A ship, road vehicle, or aircraft for carrying liquids, especially mineral oils, in bulk: the dockyards are used mainly for the repair of oil tankersMore example sentences
- In July it reported three attempted boardings in less than a week, with pirates firing automatic weapons at two gas tankers and an oil tanker.
- Not only was little attention paid to the production of essential ships such as tankers and ocean freighters, but little attempt was made to stimulate the overall growth of the economy.
- A further boarding party from Portland then arrived to check that the tanker was carrying the cargo of water specified on her manifest.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Transport (a liquid) in a tanker: fresh, clean wine had to be tankered up to the capital for bottlingMore example sentences
- The clean-up operation took weeks to complete, with pollutants having to be tankered away for specialist disposal.
- Emergency water supplies are being tankered twice daily to Shapinsay to top up the island's diminishing supplies.
- We've gotten some schooling materials in so the kids could finish their exams, and we're still tankering in water.
More definitions of tankerDefinition of tanker in:
- The US English dictionary