Definition of tantalum in English:
The chemical element of atomic number 73, a hard silver-grey metal of the transition series. (Symbol: Ta)
- Magnesium, titanium, zirconium, niobium, tantalum, molybdenum and tungsten may be soldered if they are plated with a solderable metal coating such as silver.
- Many rare but technologically important elements, such as tantalum and uranium, continue to be mined from poor regions of the world under conditions that some consider pernicious and hazardous.
- A second element, tantalum, is always present in these minerals along with niobium.
- Example sentences
- The catalyst has a support of niobic acid, tantalic acid or a mixture of niobic acid and tantalic acid or a support containing such acids.
- The experimental results have shown proposed constructive solutions to accomplish electron-ion powder heating with following particles deformation at a tantalic target.
- Tantalum is etched by peroxide - the same way it etches tungsten or titanium - by forming its mineral acid, in this case tantalic acid.
Early 19th century: from Tantalus, with reference to its frustrating insolubility in acids.
Definition of tantalum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.