Definition of tantalum in English:
The chemical element of atomic number 73, a hard silver-grey metal of the transition series. (Symbol: Ta)
- Magnesium, titanium, zirconium, niobium, tantalum, molybdenum and tungsten may be soldered if they are plated with a solderable metal coating such as silver.
- Many rare but technologically important elements, such as tantalum and uranium, continue to be mined from poor regions of the world under conditions that some consider pernicious and hazardous.
- A second element, tantalum, is always present in these minerals along with niobium.
early 19th century: from Tantalus, with reference to its frustrating insolubility in acids.
- Example sentences
- The catalyst has a support of niobic acid, tantalic acid or a mixture of niobic acid and tantalic acid or a support containing such acids.
- The experimental results have shown proposed constructive solutions to accomplish electron-ion powder heating with following particles deformation at a tantalic target.
- Tantalum is etched by peroxide - the same way it etches tungsten or titanium - by forming its mineral acid, in this case tantalic acid.
Definition of tantalum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan