Definition of tantra in English:
1A Hindu or Buddhist mystical or magical text, dating from the 7th century or earlier.
- Now, as knowledge, the Buddha taught many sutras and many tantras, and they are all words words of advice given by the Buddha, the enlightened one who reached that level.
- The practice of tranquillity meditation, or shamatha, is common to the teaching of both the sutras and the tantras, and it can also be performed within tantric practice.
- Tantric Buddhism is influenced by Brahamanism and is concerned with yogic paths to salvation stressed in rituals and in texts called tantras.
1.1 [mass noun] Adherence to the doctrines or principles of the tantras, involving mantras, meditation, yoga, and ritual.
- Shaktas use mantra, tantra, yantra, yoga and puja to invoke cosmic forces and awaken the Kundalini Power.
- A scholar of Vedic astrology, he had, from the very outset, a deep affinity with the Eastern world, which attaches a lot of importance to the human body, as is seen in the practice of yoga, tantra and classical dances.
- She says the eastern world draws her because "it gives the body the importance that is its due through the practice of yoga, tantra, and classical dance."
- Example sentences
- The Vedas, and later the yogic and tantric texts, speak of the cognitive centers as individual, whole entities which are, nevertheless, a part of a greater unity.
- Worked out in great detail by later tantric schools, this view of language is implicit in the utterances of the Vedic seers and forms the basis of their practice.
- Chod, meaning cutting through, is a Buddhist tantric practice, formulated by Machig Labdron and is the only Buddhist tantric practice that originated in Tibet, instead of India.
- Example sentences
- The spiritual practices in Shaktism, which is also known as tantra or tantrism, are similar to those in Saivism, though there is more emphasis in Shaktism on God's power as opposed to mere Being or Consciousness.
- Michael Staley of the Typhonian OTO has since published some Kundalini yoga work incorporating Lam, the syllable, ‘lam’ being the root mantra of the muhaladra charka in tantrism.
- It has also be well established that close links were forged with the Muslim world when the Templars came into contact with them especially the mystical Islamic sects like the Sufis who taught them oriental tantrism or sacred sexuality.
Sanskrit, literally 'loom, principle, doctrine', from tan 'stretch'.
Words that rhyme with tantramantra, yantra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.