- A nocturnal hoofed mammal with a stout body, sturdy limbs, and a short flexible proboscis, native to the forests of tropical America and Malaysia.
More example sentences
- Family Tapiridae and genus Tapirus: four species, including the black and white Malayan tapir (T. indicus)
- Passing tigers, rhinos, tapirs, deer and other animals triggered the shutter by tripping infrared sensors.
- The exhibit will highlight the jaguar but also will feature golden lion tamarins, tapirs, anteaters and other animals.
- In the event that it decides to develop the area, there will be serious risks to the health and long-term survival of the region which is home to jaguars, pumas, tapirs and many more endangered species.
late 18th century: via Spanish and Portuguese from Tupi tapyra.
More definitions of tapirDefinition of tapir in:
- The US English dictionary