- A silver marine fish with a black band behind the head, related to the morwong and caught for food off the coasts of New Zealand.
More example sentences
- Cheilodactylus macropterus, family Cheilodactylidae
- Although this method is often used with whole small oily fish such as sardines, I prefer to eat boned fillets of a small flavoursome fish such as tarakihi, gurnard or trevally.
- My hubby chose the fish of the day Thai spiced tarakihi with lemon butter and capers plus vegetables - a tasty meld of broccoli, beans, carrots and cauliflower.
- This sizzling platter featured a combination of marinated king prawns, tarakihi, scallops and squid with garlic and pepper sauce plus vegetables - it was utterly delicious and I definitely have a mind for more.
late 19th century: from Maori.