(also tariqat taˈriːkət)
Definition of tariqa in English:
1The Sufi doctrine or path of spiritual learning.
- Tariqat has neither the right to waive any law of shariat, nor can it allow the followers of tariqat to be exempted from the bounds and limits of shariat.
- Both tariqat and haqiqat by which the sufis are distinguished, are the third part of shariat.
1.1 [count noun] A Sufi missionary.
- This self-same process of organic expansion along the trade routes, or among semi-settled pastoralists, was sustained by the Sufi tariqas, the mystical orders of Islam.
- Similarly, the Turkish Sufi traditions and tariqas, which played important roles in Turkish social and political history, barely register here.
- Islamic Sufi brotherhoods, known as tariqas, play an important role in the religious practices of the Mauritanians.
From Arabic ṭarīqa 'manner, way, creed'.
Definition of tariqa in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.