- A thin, open-weave muslin fabric, used for stiffening ball dresses.More example sentences
- It took merely a few minutes for her to grow bored, and she stood, and with wobbling limbs made her way to the bag, produced a flowered sage tarlatan dress, put it on, and straightened her hair.
- Lon's heart skipped a beat when he saw her, standing in her pink tarlatan dress, her hair done up in curls, and her hand clutching a dainty glass of champagne.
- Balanchine famously declared that "ballet is a woman," but the aphorism was far truer in Degas's day, when the ballet was an almost exclusively feminine preserve of layered tarlatan skirts, pink satin slippers and ribbons.
early 18th century: from French tarlatane, probably of Indian origin.
More definitions of tarlatanDefinition of tarlatan in:
- The US English dictionary