- A small insectivorous, tree-dwelling, nocturnal primate with very large eyes, a long tufted tail, and very long hindlimbs, native to the islands of SE Asia.
More example sentences
- Family Tarsiidae and genus Tarsius, suborder Prosimii: four species
- Only in recent decades have prosimians - a suborder of primates that includes lemurs, lorises, bushbabies, and tarsiers - begun to be studied systematically.
- Besides gibbons, singing primates include the Madagascan lemurs called indris, the tarsiers of Sulawesi, and the tiff monkeys of South America.
- It could be a marsupial rat or mole or something opossumlike, or a rodent, insectivore, or even a primate akin to a tarsier or loris.
late 18th century: from French, from tarse 'tarsus', with reference to the animal's long tarsal bones.
More definitions of tarsierDefinition of tarsier in:
- The US English dictionary