1A hard calcified deposit that forms on the teeth and contributes to their decay.
- Tooth decay, fillings and tartar build-up can also all contribute to discolouration.
- When plaque is allowed to remain on the teeth for too long, it collects close to the gums and turns into a hard substance called tartar.
- This prevents a buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth.
Late Middle English: via medieval Latin from medieval Greek tartaron, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with tartarbarter, Bata, cantata, carter, cassata, charter, chipolata, ciabatta, darter, desiderata, errata, garter, imprimatur, Inkatha, Jakarta, Magna Carta, Maratha, martyr, Odonata, passata, persona non grata, rata, Renata, Río de la Plata, serenata, sonata, Sparta, starter, strata, taramasalata, Tatar, Zapata
1A member of the combined forces of central Asian peoples, including Mongols and Turks, who under the leadership of Genghis Khan conquered much of Asia and eastern Europe in the early 13th century, and under Tamerlane (14th century) established an empire with its capital at Samarkand. See also Tatar.
- Romania's new minorities included substantial communities of Ukrainians, Bulgarians, gypsies, Germans, Hungarians, Tartars, Turks, and Jews.
- Saracens themselves, and Italians, and Russians, were attentive to the multitudes of Mongols and Tartars.
- At different times Stalin conducted mass arrests of Poles, Balts, Chechens, Tartars and on the eve of his death - Jews.
1.1 (tartar) A harsh, fierce, or intractable person: my new Company Commander is a horrible tartar
More example sentences
- The Dromard No.14 is indeed a fine footballer but caught a real tartar in Knockbeg full-back Paddy Kelly, whose tackling, harrying and blocking continuously frustrated the Longford ace.
- However he caught a tartar in the form of Sandyhill Jo 9 / 2.
- He was not such a tartar after all.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan