noun (plural same)
- A yellowish sea bream of warm shallow inshore waters, which is an important food and game fish in the Indo-Pacific.
More example sentences
- Rhabdosargus globiceps, family Sparidae
- The Cut at Dawesville is producing big herring, a few skippy, whiting and tarwhine.
- Black crabs or rock crabs, if you can catch them, have been attracting some nice size tarwhine around the rocks as well.
- The only other fish to be weighed in were 5 herring, one tarwhine and a few whiting, pretty meager pickings.
late 19th century: from Dharuk darawayn 'a fish'.