Definition of tatting in English:
1A kind of knotted lace made by hand with a small shuttle, used chiefly for trimming: she sat making tatting
More example sentences
- The inspiration for Lalie Douglas's newest work, Frivolité, came from a 1753 painting by Louis Tocqué that hangs in the Louvre showing a woman making a type of knotted lace called tatting.
- She's begun adding unique touches of tatting or crocheting or ribbon work.
- The tatting on each edge was simply an effect of elegance and care.
1.1The process of making knotted lace with a small shuttle.
- Knitting, crocheting and tatting is not something that has always looked particularly hip when one, say, whips it out at a bar.
- Today, this striking textile is made with a crochet hook, knitting needles, a tatting shuttle or a machine.
- She had never thought tatting to be all that graceful.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of tatting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.