Definition of tauromachy in English:
noun (plural tauromachies)[mass noun] rare
- Thanks to Tilo for sending me a link to a paper on the ancient Tamil tradition of tauromachy, bull-baiting.
- It discusses the culture of Spain from 1700 to the present: painting, sculpture, architecture, tauromachy, manners, and customs.
- The Seville slaughterhouse was the first official school of tauromachy in Spain.
1.1 [count noun] A bullfight.
- He is a bull slowly wrestled down in some terrible tauromachy.
- At some of the towns where St. Sernin is said to have founded churches, such as Eauze and Pamplona, the tauromachy exists today.
- There are more than 80 paintings, pastels and drawings created during the past five years: still-lifes, and brothel and tauromachy scenes.
mid 19th century: from Greek tauromakhia, from tauros 'bull' + makhē 'battle'.
- Example sentences
- Braque, unlike Picasso, was not a bullfight enthusiast, and he probably included these tauromachian allusions - the only ones in his oeuvre - as a tribute to his friend.
- I admired the tauromachian flourish with which, at the end of a haircut, they removed the white bib they had placed around their customers' necks.
- Perhaps the outstanding characteristic of Aficionado is its almost massive minutiae about everything tauromachian.
- Example sentences
- The ‘pega’ is an exclusively Portuguese cultural and tauromachic phenomenon.
- She has been following the bull since the days of Cesar Giron and Litri, has a filing-case memory for every tauromachic fact invented by man or bull.
- It cannot be captured by the cool accounts of the attendant aficionados who pride themselves on their knowledge of the tauromachic craft.
Definition of tauromachy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan