Definition of tawny owl in English:
1A common Eurasian owl with either reddish-brown or grey plumage and a familiar quavering hoot.
- Strix aluco, family Strigidae
- Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.
- The 47 dead birds were seven barn owls, three kingfishers, a lapwing, a hen harrier, six long-eared owls, nine tawny owls, two kestrels, three green woodpeckers, six little owls, seven sparrowhawks, a water rail and a waxwing.
- Wood peckers, herons, tawny owls and wood warblers are common in the area.
2 (Tawny Owl) informal (In the UK) the assistant adult leader of a pack of Brownie Guides, officially termed Assistant Brownie Guider since 1968.
- Tawny Owl Nicki Paull is deaf herself and has volunteered to teach any of the brownies who are interested how to communicate using sign.
Definition of tawny owl in:
- US English dictionary