- 1A common Eurasian owl with either reddish-brown or grey plumage and a familiar quavering hoot.
More example sentences
- Strix aluco, family Strigidae
- Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.
- The 47 dead birds were seven barn owls, three kingfishers, a lapwing, a hen harrier, six long-eared owls, nine tawny owls, two kestrels, three green woodpeckers, six little owls, seven sparrowhawks, a water rail and a waxwing.
- Wood peckers, herons, tawny owls and wood warblers are common in the area.
- 2 (Tawny Owl) • informal (In the UK) the assistant adult leader of a pack of Brownie Guides, officially termed Assistant Brownie Guider since 1968.More example sentences
- Tawny Owl Nicki Paull is deaf herself and has volunteered to teach any of the brownies who are interested how to communicate using sign.
More definitions of tawny owlDefinition of tawny owl in:
- The US English dictionary