Definition of tawny owl in English:
1A common Eurasian owl with either reddish-brown or grey plumage and a familiar quavering hoot.
- Strix aluco, family Strigidae
- Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.
- The 47 dead birds were seven barn owls, three kingfishers, a lapwing, a hen harrier, six long-eared owls, nine tawny owls, two kestrels, three green woodpeckers, six little owls, seven sparrowhawks, a water rail and a waxwing.
- Wood peckers, herons, tawny owls and wood warblers are common in the area.
2 (Tawny Owl) informal (In the UK) the assistant adult leader of a pack of Brownie Guides, officially termed Assistant Brownie Guider since 1968.
- Tawny Owl Nicki Paull is deaf herself and has volunteered to teach any of the brownies who are interested how to communicate using sign.
Definition of tawny owl in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan